It’s pleasure waiting for you

It was 8:30 AM. I walked into South India’s biggest Conglomerate Corporate office to close a deal. My appointment was at 9 AM and felt glad that I maneuvered through Chennai traffic to make it on time. I glanced through few newspapers to while away some time. It was 30 minutes past 10 AM and I was still waiting.. After some time I looked at the watch, now it was almost 12 noon. By now, I had gone through all the papers lying in the reception and was restless. I was totally frustrated with the client for making me wait for almost 3 hours.

I wondered “What pleasure do they get by making me wait?”

That was a Eureka moment for this blog… I have waited for so many things in life and all those waitings have always been a pleasure…

In school, it was a rule that one of the parent must come to pick their children at the stroke of bell. While everyone would leave by 4 PM, my mother always comes late because of her work. She had to transit 2 buses to reach school from my home. The wait for her arrival was filled with irritation then. I used to stand on my feet, putting my head outside the door with my eyes wide open anxiously yearning to see my mother strode to pick me up.. Today as I reminisce that incident I sincerely feel it was a pleasure waiting for my mother :)

During college, we the notorious eight were thick and thin of all the happenings. We used to bunk classes together, play volleyball, strike the snooker balls in Potshot and hang around the city. It was during the 2nd year that one of the naught eight was celebrating his birthday and he treated us in a star hotel. We spoke on various topics which included gossips and confessions {Wonder how all the topics we discussed were always centered around women ;) }.. Over a period of time this star hotel dinner treat was a ritual and we enjoy it to an extent that it cannot be explained but only experienced. Today sitting in this part of the world, I am waiting for one of that dinner to happen. I am not sure if it would be logistically possible for all of us to assemble at one place now but the mere thought of it gives me immense pleasure :)

No two persons are similar, even if so it’s difficult to find them. But Meshak and I have always thought alike atleast in most instances: P. Though being classmates in school, we befriended each other when studying in different colleges. Soon we became close and this 2011, we are celebrating a decade of friendship. Those countless coffee day outings, rambling across besant nagar beach, Cup corns and self depreciating comments we made, ofcourse not to forget those bird-sighting sessions. :) Wow!!! Just too good. He left to US in 2008 and is yet to step into India. Most probably he might be coming this year end for his marriage and I am anxious to see not just him but also his marriage. Surely this wait is a pleasure indeed :)

No one passes by without making an impression in our life. Divya is one among them who has always impressed me. The lady with a sparkling smile, simple yet scintillating dressing sense and a level headed person who always takes genuine interest in me will forever remain special in my life. It took sometime for us to break the ice, but once done we enjoyed each others company. Those little misunderstandings, witty humour sense, exchange of thoughts, little fights, dinner at restaurants and long drives have always strengthened our bonds of friendship. It’s been 4 years since she went for an onsite assignment and I am already feeling her vaccum. I am waiting for her arrival and needless to say this wait is also a pleasure :)

Friends, it’s 1 PM and I hear that the meeting is called off. I am terribly upset with my client yet I think I should thank him for making me wait all along because he has given me a chance to sit back and realize all those worthy wait’s which I cherish and look forward in life.

{Client gives a cock and bull story for not meeting me today}

I shook hands with him and left the place telling “It’s pleasure waiting for you”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect! It explains why it's useful to spent those dull moments inside corporate walls,for it fuels the party moments -atleast pays for it:!

Intro and conclusion stands out,totally drifted my expectations but then I was surprised and warmed by the moot point. An happy man is not the one with more bank balance, but one with friends who help him balance. Happy for you and be grateful to that separation and re-union.
For we learn what we need, only in the moments we miss them.Reading this in a time,when I am waiting for a flight back home made more sense in to me.

Vidya said...

what a fantastic post! You showed that changing out attitude towards a situation can really change the situation!

Well written Rajesh!

Aditya!! said...

I loved this post! The way of narration, the non-linear structure, chronological examples and the choice of words! Lol...i guess i've gone into eval mode! getting back, it's nice to wait for someone when we have the choice....eg: you need not wait for Divya who is onside, but you CHOOSE to do so, so it's pleasurable. But with someone like your boss, or interview, you do not have a choice! So pleasure becomes pressure and restlessness! Having said that, you have given good food for thought on how to while away during 'waiting period'..cheers!

Anonymous said...

Adi.. you are a mad toastmaster da:) Loved the evaluation anyways:!

Meshak said...

Machi ur one of the most imp reasons i wanna visit chennai some time soon , atleast before U get married

Sandhiya said...

I like the post Rajesh. Puts a lot of things in perspective. Its a pleasure waiting for Mom to finish cooking and a pleasure waiting for salary every month. But its not pleasure waiting on the wrong side of the bathroom door.