Unfriended Friend

I still remember the first time I spoke with her. It was on a phone call.

A call from an unknown number, I picked it up, “Hello!”

“Rajesh?” unusual sweet voice that uttered my name

“Yes” (With a smile on my face)

“Hi Rajesh, This is Sneha……”

That is how our conversation started..

Her English was impeccable that I thought how I am going to interact with her when I meet her. I was all along managing with my elementary English. On contrary, her heavy accented English was so natural that I feared talking to her.

The D-day arrived. I walked into the hall and shook hands with her.

“Hi Sneha, Epadi irukeenga” which means Hi Sneha, How are you. I was deliberate in using my native tamil language in the fear of matching up to her proficient English skills.

“Semmaya irukaen rajesh” came the reply in a flash. Her native tamil broke the ice and soon we bonded.

From being strangers, to acquaintance to friends.. Our relationship was moving up the chain. We were at ease with each other and our talks broke the chain of formalities. We spoke everything under the sun. We agreed to disagree on many topics & talked at length on Music, Movies and books. We could easily connect with each other.

Soon we became the envy of our environment. Sneha & I were thickest of friends and believed that no force can separate us. That is when something happened. Something terrible happened.
WE FOUGHT. A molehill turned into a mountain and the mudslinging was happening at full throttle. Egos’ were full blown.  Sneha & I stopped talking. Not for hours, not for days but months together.
I used to talk to her Watsapp DP thinking as though she will talk back. It was painful to see her online yet not to hear a word from her.

Sneha used to say, “If I can stay not talking to you for a week, I can stay not talking to you for lifetime”.

I didn’t take her words seriously. How can one fight break the strong bonds of friendship that was cemented all these years?, I thought.

She was right. I realized she could go without talking to me for lifetime. The castle was crumbling infront of my eyes and I wondered what I can do to save it.

I watsapp-ed her.. the blue tick never appeared,

I called her several times. Her phone was busy. The least I expected was her call back.

Today I went through her facebook profile.

I looked at her Profile picture, how could she happily smile without talking to me? A thought engulfed me.

I looked into her eyes that once pulled me towards her,

I looked at her lips, words that emanated through it promised to never leave me stranded,

And her smile.. That big smile today signalled that she was better off without me..

I moved my cursor in search of the “Like” button. For some strange reasons it was missing. I flipped through the older pictures. With every refresh the “Like” & “Comment” button vanished.
I went to her profile page. What I saw hurt me so much.

It said, “Add Friend”

So my best friend Sneha has actually unfriended me.

Hmm… Words were hard to come by and I’m short of words to express it here too

“I wished that someday we clear our misunderstandings. We have done it before. Why can’t it work now?” I quipped to myself

More than anything, the feeling of not wanted hurt me so much. It is the worst for someone to go through.

I had an urge to send her a friend request but knowing Sneha I know she has moved miles in life and the best gift that I could give at the moment is some peace of mind.

If my absence is what will make her happy, it’s my duty to give it to her for my unconditional love towards her is real

Wherever you go, whatever you do..you will be cherished Sneha.

I will not remember you henceforth for I have not forgotten you in the first place.

Life without speaking to you, listening to you & feeling you is going to be very difficult but like you always say, LIFE HAS TO MOVE ON…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well said
did you unfriend her?

k shankar said...

Well written sir